Monday, April 8, 2013

Inspiration by any other name...

In preparing for each session of writing, I try to find an image or a song that inspires me. Inspiration, though necessary for me, doesn't always fall in the category I need it to. Some times I find I have been inspired to develop a characters arch, but to my disappointing, the character I want to write about has already be written for.

This ultimately means I either write what I have inspiration for at the moment and see if a re-write is a good move, waste time trying to write about something I have no urge to write for at the moment, or waste time trying to psyche myself up for the section I really need to work on.

Ultimately, I usually end up with 5 or 6 arcs for each character, protagonist or not. I feel this gives me a great  amount of "wiggle" room when it comes to rounding my characters and organically incorporating them.

Writing ridiculous, cliche, or just plain unusable material is just necessary sometimes. I need to get that material out of my head before I can come up with decent material. It makes me laugh when I think about some of the utterly useless bits I have written.

I am happy with how this new book is coming along. I'll be working on it for a long time, but I feel like it will be an end that is definitely justified by the means.

No comments:

Post a Comment